Testing The Pool Water
Maintaining a crystal-clear, inviting pool right in the middle of your backyard is the epitome of summer luxury. However, ensuring your pool water stays safe and balanced requires some prior knowledge. Luckily it is super easy to test your pool water, and basic at-home testing kits are easy to come by.
Water Checking Tips From The Professionals
- The best time to test the pool water is at dusk.
- Make sure to choose an area of the pool where water does not come back from the filter, preferably the deep end and submerse the kit elbow deep.
- When you open your kit, be sure not to drop any water on the testing strips as they will become contaminated.
- Wait at least four hours after swimmers have left before you test the water.
- Wait at least eight to 12 hours after a rain or windstorm before you test the water.
- Weekends aren’t the best time to test as neighbors mow their lawn or fertilize and if it’s in the air, it can affect your reading.
- If you have a normal pH reading for three weeks and suddenly get a high or low reading, wait 24 hours and test again. If it’s the same reading then, adjust accordingly.
- Test your water at same time of day each time you use your kit.
- Run the pump at least one hour before testing the water.
Ongoing Pool Maintenance
Constant maintenance is the benchmark of a pristine pool. As well as testing the water at regular intervals, it is important to keep the overall pool healthy and clean. Our professional tips are:
- Skimming the surface to remove any debris to prevent build-up.
- Brushing the pool walls and floor to help prevent algae growth.
- Check and clean the pool’s filter system regularly.
- Keep an eye on water levels to ensure they stay within the recommended amount.
- Consider investing in a pool cover to protect against debris.
These small but important steps will go a long way in maintaining an inviting pool for you and your family to enjoy.
We’re Here To Help
If you need any help with pool maintenance, you’ve come to the right place. With over 50 years experience, Morehead Pools’ friendly team is always on-hand to help you with pool sanitization, maintenance programs, or even just to answer a question. Don’t hesitate, get in contact today!